[FC4] Audio no longer works after upgrade from FC 1

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Nov 4 00:29:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:51:20PM -0600, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Hello Aaron,
>
> >>I know this was handled *somewhere*, but I can't find it. I am trying to
> >>use the Alsa mixer to pipe audio from a weather radio into my computer to
> >>broadcast out on a web server. After the FC 4 upgrade, there's no
> >>sound...the input appears to be at zero. I have been going through the
> >>Alsa mixer over the last half hour, trying to get it working, to no avail.
> >>can someone help me out here? Thanks!
> >>
> >Which channel are you using for the radio input?
>
> I am using the line-out from the radio to the line-in to my computer. It
> worked 4 hours ago, before I upgraded FC 1 to FC 4.
Why do think that alsamixer levels in FC 1 would have anything to do
with the levels in FC4 after the upgrade.

> >At the bottom of that
> >channel and the output channel you are using do you fins MM or 00? It
> >should be 00, and hit M to change it if it is MM. What level do you
> >have in these channels, and have you properly adjusted the channels
> >with the arrow keys? These things normally are the difference between
> >sound and silence.
>
> I used aumix (which shows all is well), and Alsa. I can hear system
> sounds, bells and dings and the like, but no weather radio coming form
> line in on the PC. I verified that my current install of icecast and
> darkice are working.
Since I have never heard of aumix nor Alsa  I can't comment on their
use. system sounds , bells and dings have nothing to do with the
channels for inputing  radio into FC4. Above you are talking I assume
the physical line in to your machine. That is also not what i asked
about. alsamixer is the program to adjust the internal sound channels
of which there are more than 10. It is these channel levels I am
referring to.

Of course, it also possible that aumix and Alsa do the same thing as
alsamixer and I am all wet.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University