Is there a relatively easy way to stream audio from a radio on FC4?

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Fri Nov 4 05:39:32 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I steam a local weather radio station from the National Weather Service
here in the U.S. on one of my machines. After I moved up from FC1 to FC4,
libraries were missing that Darkice and Icecast, my current streaming
software, needed. So, they don't work anymore. I did make a kludge to get
it to work, but now it' having trouble finding the audio source. But even
if I get this fixed, it's not the long-term answer to the problem.

I required considerable help getting Icecast and Darkice to work. Now that
they no longer work under FC4, I was wondering: assume a simple line-out
audio stream into a microphone or line-level jack. How can I take that
audio and stream it onto the Internet, say with a capacity of 100 or so
listeners?

I tried downloading and installing Darkice for FC3 since FC4 RPM's are not
available yet...and that didn't work. Missing libraries caused it not to
install.

OK, so here is my problem: What software is available for FC4 that will
stream simple audio feed for 100 listeners, that won't take me weeks to
set up? Or am I just dreaming here? This is for a public service that
benefits many people.

Any comments, suggestions, and ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank
you!

E-mail: sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu                                  ***