Postfix Sluggish

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Nov 4 17:22:29 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 04.11.2005 schrieb Ki Song um 18:14:

> > Test you DNS. Often a slow resolver causes slow mail processing.
>
> I tested sending messages by using the actual ip address as the smtp server
> (so that i can bypass the dns server), and still, the sluggish performance.
> To clarify, when I say sluggish, I mean that sending a message via smtp and
> receiving messages via pop, takes about 10 seconds, when as recently as 2
> days ago, it was sending in less than 1 second.

DNS is much more involved than just for the SMTP server name and IP you
are calling from your client! I did mean DNS more generally: so DNS
comes to play when the target MX host is to be found for the message
recipient. For incoming mail other DNS queries are processed.

A 10 seconds delay can indicate either a non working or blocked identd
request or a non working reverse DNS check.

Alexander

Serendipity 18:19:11 up 6 days, 16:19, load average: 0.19, 0.18, 0.10