Postfix Sluggish

James Marcinek jmarc1 at jemconsult.biz
Fri Nov 4 17:22:21 UTC 2005

For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com> wrote:
> Am Fr, den 04.11.2005 schrieb Ki Song um 17:43:
>
> > For some reason, Postfix is very slow today on my server.
> >
> > I tried the following:
> > - mqueue. I wanted to see if there was a huge backlog of queued messages.
> > There were none.
> > - top. The cpu usage is minimal: less than 1% most of the time.
> >
> > What other things should I look for?
>
> Test you DNS. Often a slow resolver causes slow mail processing.
>
> > Should I try and reboot the server to see if that help?
>
> If you can afford the downtime you may try this route. But would that
> answer you what is going on actually? I feel it is better to investigate
> the causes.
>
> Alexander

I just had a similar problem; however I realized that someone apparantly was
bouncing mail (I guess relaying it) off of my server. The top indicated heavy
usage.

I monitored the maillog:

tail -f /var/log/maillog

and noticed a lot of activity.

I checked the postfix queue:

postqueue -p

and found tons of emails.

I thought postfix did not relay mail by default? My master.cf file had an
uncommented 'relay' service. I know I didn't add it. I commented it out and hope
that it corrects the problem (plea for help on how to make sure no relaying is
happening).

If this is the problem you can use the postsuper command to delete these:

postsuper -d ALL

HTH- james