Postfix Sluggish

Ki Song ki at knifecenter.com
Fri Nov 4 17:46:35 UTC 2005

> From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:40:02 +0000
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: Postfix Sluggish
>
> Ki Song wrote:
>> One reason why the maillog is so huge is because all the messages that are
>> trying to be sent to this domain (knifecenter.com) that are the target of
>> spam ... basically, they are sending to any and all potential names in the
>> knifecenter domain ... for example, a particular server tries to send a
>> message (probably spam) to: a at knifecenter.com, then aa at knifecenter.com, then
>> ab at knifecenter.com, then ac at knifecenter.com, etc.
>>
>> The maillog contains all the rejected messages because those addresses do
>> not exist. How do I continue to reject the messages to erroneous addresses
>> without showing it in the maillog?
>
> You don't. You firewall off the server that's doing the dictionary
> attack and then your mail server will never see the connections from it,
> hence no logging.

Isn't that just putting a "bandaid" on the problem ... I mean, isn't the
list of ip addresses that i firewall off eventually going to be too big to
manage?

If the above isn't true, is there a central location that people can get a
hold of that has a list of "bad ip" addresses? Similar to Spamassassin's
list?