Resovling FC3 Boot Messages

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Fri Nov 4 21:59:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 13:06 -0500, Matt Roth wrote:

> > Does your NFS server respond immediately after you finish booting.If
> > not there may be a response timeout occurring. You do have nfs and
> > nfslock running on you server?
> >
> Yes and yes.  I can manually mount the NFS server immediately after
> logging in and both nfsd and lockd are running on the NFS server.

Just a stab in the dark....  But I recall a situation where inability to
communicate during boot with the network which magically works later on
is perhaps a function of the switch?  Sometimes when "ports" are
initialized, the switch performs a Spanning-Tree Algorithm which leaves
the port clueless until the algorithm finishes.  Purpose of the
Spanning-Tree thing is to prevent Layer 2 loops in your network....
Perhaps a change to a setting on the switch to inhibit SPT (like
PortFast) could improve the situation?

HTH,

--Rob