Resovling FC3 Boot Messages

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Fri Nov 4 22:46:31 UTC 2005

I'm sorry to repost this, but it got scrubbed because it was in HTML
format the first time.

>On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 02:32:50PM -0500, Matt Roth wrote:
>

>>I am receiving some boot messages on my Fedora Core 3 machine that
>>concern me and I would like your help in identifying whether they are
>>actual problems or if they can be safely ignored.  I captured the
>>messages by using 'Shift+Page Up' to page through the scroll buffer
>>prior to logging in and typing what I saw into an editor on another
>>machine.  I looked for a way to capture these boot messages to file, but
>>I couldn't find one.  Does anyone know of a way to do this?
>>

>get a hold of: system-logviewer-0.9.11-1
>which was left out of FC4 but is in FC3. Also look in:
>/var/log/boot.log
>demsg will also list boot messages after you boot but has a limited
>buffer.

I am aware of the boot.log and dmesg.  It looks like most, if not all,
of the information from the boot sequence is available through them.  I
was just wondering if there is an easier way to obtain the actual
console output of the boot sequence than digging through multiple
sources and piecing it together.

Does system-logviewer perform this function?

>I have seen those cache messages before but don't know what they mean
>and have ignored them May be a mistake. I guess these are SATA
>drives. If they are your SATA configuration in the BIOS may be in
>error.

They are two SCSI drives configured in a RAID 1 (mirrored).  The
controller is a PERC 4e/Si RAID controller.

>Does your NFS server respond immediately after you finish booting.If
>not there may be a response timeout occurring. You do have nfs and
>nfslock running on you server?

Yes and yes.  I can manually mount the NFS server immediately after
logging in and both nfsd and lockd are running on the NFS server.

>smartd failures ususally come from misconfiguration of the conf file.

I will look into either disabling smartd or configuring it correctly.

Thank you for your response,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer