[FC4] Audio no longer works after upgrade from FC 1

Gilbert Sebenste sebenste at weather3.admin.niu.edu
Sun Nov 6 07:50:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> Since I have never heard of aumix nor Alsa  I can't comment on their
> use. system sounds , bells and dings have nothing to do with the
> channels for inputing  radio into FC4. Above you are talking I assume
> the physical line in to your machine. That is also not what i asked
> about. alsamixer is the program to adjust the internal sound channels
> of which there are more than 10. It is these channel levels I am
> referring to.
>
> Of course, it also possible that aumix and Alsa do the same thing as
> alsamixer and I am all wet.

I plugged the radio into my other generic soundcard, which is located on
/dev/dsp1 (my SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card is /dev/dsp), and guess what? IT
WORKS. I am getting audio now after setting things as you suggested. But
it STILL won't work with the SoundBlaster card, setting things the way
you suggested there, too. Weird.

E-mail: sebenste at weather.admin.niu.edu                                  ***