Fedora 4 Comaptible Wireless PCI Card; NEED ADVICE:

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sun Nov 6 17:14:03 UTC 2005

At 8:30 AM +0000 11/6/05, Mirco Scara wrote:
>Hello guys,
>I two days ago purchased a brand new Belkin Wireless G Desktop network card
>that wasn't absolutely recognized by Fedora 4.
>I took some adjusting till I spoke to a Belkin representative and they
>advise me to use the LINUXANT.COM procedure to install the windows xp
>compatible driver.
>I had to reinstall Windows XP on my machine in order to be able to get the
>exact necessary windows drivers files.
>The card this way seemed to be working somehow but strangely it seemed to be
>only getting connected to my friend's wireless access point , who funny
>enough lives at 100 meters across the street from me .
>No sign of getting connected to my router which is placed just on the window
>ledge behind the computer.
>I started thinking that it is probably or most likely a problem with using
>the the win xp drivers in fedora.
>The card works obviously in win xp.
>I spent now 3 days trying to get it connected to my router with FEDORA, SUSE
>10  but nothing I only get connected to a remote and very slow external
>access point but not mine.
>
>ARE THERE ANY WIRELESS CARDS THAT WOULD JUST WORK OUT OF THE BOX WITH FEDORA
>4?

Probably not without configuration.  Your problem is configuration, as you
are able to access another AP, but not your own.  You have proved that the
drivers work by accessing an AP.  Someone who has used this stuff may
advise, or you could search the list archives or just look at the last
week's worth of threads in the archive.

Actually searching the list archives does not work.  Here's a list mirror
to search:

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

or use Google:

    wireless site:www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list