AMD64 Yum Problems

Bob Chiodini robert.chiodini-1 at ksc.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 7 17:31:01 UTC 2005

I installed the x86_64 version of FC4 Saturday and attempted to update
using:

yum -y update

I get through the download of the headers and the RPMs, but during the
actual update yum hangs, and cannot be aborted with control-C.  I've
tried twice and yum seems to hang in different places or it gets to the
transaction check (after the package download) then stops with no
messages.

When the problem occurs, I cannot su, nor can I ssh in from another
machine.  The computer is not hung, ssh and su prompt for a password,
but a shell prompt never appears.

I tried updating yum, selinux and pam separately, and turning off
selinux to no avail.

I believe this to be the problem posted in:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-October/msg01035.html

I did not see any responses or anything bugzilla.

Any ideas?

Bob...