Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 7 20:16:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:58 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> So, why didn't yum do it until now? I have done '#yum -y -update'
> hundreds of times on this system. I didn't change anything on mysql.
> um..For some silly reason I have Amarok on this machine. Since the
> latest version of Amarok uses mysql (so I read) could it be that
> Amarok told yum to do it.
>
> And as far as rtfm, yes, but yum should warn before doing a mass
> deletion like that. The -y switch is for updates, not deletions!
----
where do you see that about the -y switch? Not in man yum...

-y     Assume yes; assume that the answer to any question which would be
asked is yes.
Configuration Option: assume-yes

It assumed yes because you told it to assume yes. I shouldn't have to
break down the old saying about what happens when you assume.

I personally have never passed '-y' to yum and there have been times
that I've had the ability to cancel because I didn't like what it
proposed to do. That is the default behavior, that should be good enough
for everyone except those who bravely pass the '-y' on the command line.

Craig

believed to be clean.