Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Nov 7 20:35:52 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:58 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> So, why didn't yum do it until now? I have done '#yum -y -update'
> hundreds of times on this system. I didn't change anything on mysql.
> um..For some silly reason I have Amarok on this machine. Since the
> latest version of Amarok uses mysql (so I read) could it be that
> Amarok told yum to do it.
>
> And as far as rtfm, yes, but yum should warn before doing a mass
> deletion like that. The -y switch is for updates, not deletions!

That is a misunderstanding.
The -y switch (from the man page) is:
   "-y     Assume yes; assume that the answer to any question which
would be asked is yes."
Thus you told it to do whatever it chose as proper.

If you do not want it to automatically do whatever IT thinks is correct
then DO NOT use the -y switch.  Wait for the messages of what it wants
to do, read them, then answer Y/N as appropriate.

It is a very good tool, but yum cannot think and only follows the
information in packages already installed and about to be installed. You
still have to manage it.