deleteing e-Mail, quota and dovecot

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 7 21:15:01 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> And depending on your mail client, it keeps a local copy of the mail in
>> one or the other formats.  So file system benefits may be undone, either
>> way.

Les Mikesell:

> Generally the client and server are on different machines.

True, but then some of us aren't blessed with numerous machines.  ;-)
For home use, there's little justification for having a box as a
standalone server (electricity costs, etc.).

>> e.g. Using Evolution and Dovecot with mbox (it started that way, and now
>> I'm considering changing to maildir because it's getting slow), I end up
>> with a ~/mail/ directory full of mbox files per folder, *and* a
>> ~/.evolution/ directory with mostly the same thing in a different
>> format.

> If you are running on the same machine you might as well either
> let evolution see the mbox/maildir storage itself or download
> via pop so evolution has the only copy.  You only need client/server
> operation if you are on another machine or use different clients
> from different locations.

I use different terminals around the place.  That's why I went for IMAP.

I don't know whether I trust it to not munge up local maildir stores
that something else fetched/organised.

I'd like a better client, anyway.  It leaves a lot to be desired in a
few areas (messy quoting that needs manual intervention, difficulty in
only polling one server out of many for your mail, etc.).

No, Thunderbird doesn't cut it.  It has the added disadvantage that
interprets the messages, HTMLising even plain text, as far as the
display is concerned.

I read messages from the public lists.