what is the difference between locate and find ?

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Tue Nov 8 18:25:21 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 11:54, kwhiskers wrote:
> Curiously, it is expressly disabled in FC4 (why, is there
> something better? What?). If you wish to use it, as I do, you
> have to edit /etc/updatedb.conf.

It's mentioned in the FC4 release notes. I'm guessing there was
enough interest in having it turned off by default.

6.1.4. Enabling the slocate Database

The database needed by the locate utility is no longer created by
default. Enable the database creation by setting DAILY_UPDATE to
yes in /etc/updatedb.conf  if you want to use locate.

Regards, Mike Klinke