Redirecting E-mail

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Nov 8 19:17:52 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 08.11.2005 schrieb Mike McCarty um 19:51:

> I have a game which I like to play on my machine. I have compiled it
> and it runs fine. Upon completion (winning) of the game, the game sends
> e-mail to the user name. This works fine, but I don't use the mail
> program for reading mail, I use Thunderbird. So... how do I redirect
> the local mail system used by mail to send e-mail sent to jmccarty
> to my ISP mail address Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net?
>
> I could just try fiddling the source and see whether it works, but
> ISTM that this should be a simple thing. Maybe /etc/aliases?

> Mike

Right, set an alias. Be aware that this of course will affect any mail
directed to the local user.

jmccarty:               Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net

You need to run "newaliases" command to rebuild the aliases.db and thus
activating that change.

An alternate is to use a ~/.forward file which just contains the target
email address. Set permissions to 600 for the .forward file.

Alexander

Serendipity 20:13:33 up 10 days, 18:13, load average: 0.20, 0.15, 0.06