nodma after install?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Nov 8 21:37:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 20:22 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Di, den 08.11.2005 schrieb Jack Howarth um 19:52:
>
> >    I have a couple of machines which required ide=nodma to be passed to
> > the kernel in order to validate the install cds properly. I am wondering
> > if there is a consensus on whether this option needs to be used after the
> > installation. I find that all of the installed kernels now have ide=nodma
> > invoked and am wondering if this is really necessary.
> >                      Jack
>
> The "ide=nodma" switch is only for CD mediacheck to bypass some kind of
> problem. For normal operation in the very most cases you don't need
> that. It would indicate a drive or cable problem.
> Starting the installation of Fedora with the "ide=nodma" switch will not
> add that one to the kernel line in grub.conf.

It may.  Anaconda used to insert it.  I must agree, however, that
"ide=nodma" is a bad idea as it will slow down disk access.  If your CD
requires it, I'd recommend "hdc=nodma" (replace "hdc" with the device
name for your CD) to disable DMA for that device _only_.

-         Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?        -