Problem adding new user...

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 8 22:02:19 UTC 2005

Guillou Erwan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Once you have add the user account, did you check that /home/user was really
> existing?

Yes, and it does. From the man page:

When invoked without the -D option, the useradd command creates a new
user account using the values specified on the command line and the
default values from the system. The new user account will be entered
into the system files as needed, the home directory will be created,
and initial files copied, depending on the command line options. The
version provided with Red Hat Linux will create a group for each user
added to the system, unless the -n option is given. The options which
apply to the useradd command are:

> Maybe you have to create it... usually I specify all options for this useradd
> command to force shell, directory name, comment.
>
> Else, did you look in log files why login fails ?
>
> You can look in /var/log/secure or auth something name file.
> You may find some explanation for the failure.

I see nothing in /var/log/secure which indicates any sort of
failure.

 From /var/log/secure

Nov  8 13:20:14 Presario-1 useradd[29532]: new user: name=freddy,
uid=502, gid=500, home=/home/freddy, shell=/bin/bash
Nov  8 13:31:38 Presario-1 useradd[29772]: new group: name=freddy, gid=502
Nov  8 13:37:50 Presario-1 userdel[29904]: delete user `freddy'
Nov  8 13:37:50 Presario-1 userdel[29904]: remove group `freddy'

> Under root account you can also try su - user.
> It should not ask for password but it will launch a login shell.

It should indeed. But I don't want new users logging in as root
in order to su to themselves!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.