Postfix - Speed

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:29:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 14:03, Ki Song wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 November 2005 13:41, Ki Song wrote:
> >> - HTML message approximately 30k
> >> - 800k upload
> >
> > Unless my arithmetic is incorrect it looks like your pipe will only
> > allow about 27 messages per second at the very most.  Throw in some
> > pipe inefficiency, dns/mx lookups, nagotiation with the remote mail
> > server, etc, and adjust downward from there.
> >

> So, basically, the server should not be the bottleneck. If anything, the
> connection, dns/mx lookups, remote mail servers, etc. those are more of a
> factor than the actual postfix server.

Note that if you give postfix all the addresses at once or
group them intelligently, some moderately large number of
addresses will be grouped for each copy sent to a host
with multiple recipients, saving quite a bit of bandwidth.
Offsetting that, if your addresses are out of date or
your recipients' mailer thinks you are sending spam, you
will be fielding a lot of bounces.  Even a good list of
50,000 addresses is probably going to be 25% wrong by
the time you try to use it - there is a lot of turnover
in email addresses.  The hardest part to handle are the
temporary failures where you have a DNS lookup problem
or can't connect immediately.  Those will be queued and
retried periodically.

--
    Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com