FC4 Box access problems / ?????

Timothy A. Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Tue Nov 8 22:53:48 UTC 2005

I am on the trail of a puzzle here:

I have a FC4 box running SNORT, and the associated processes (httpd,
mysql, etc) to keep it happy.

It is monitoring on one port which is outside our firewall, and is
talking to the inside on another port.

At times, everything seems happy happy, but other times, I try to hit
the box, and cannot get in either via http, or via ssh, the requests
keep timing out

I fed it the uptime command and all of the load averages came back as
0.00,

The box is a Pentium 4, 2.0 HT with one gig of memory and a 40 gig hard
drive

I could sure use some help tracking this down,  I cannot rely on SNORT
till I can get these access problems resolved.

I am also interested in using this as a learning tool for diagnosing
this type of problems in the future, so if you can include thoughts on
strategy etc that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11