Postfix - Speed

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Nov 9 02:35:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 14:15 -0600, Mike Klinke wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 14:03, Ki Song wrote:
>
> > So, basically, the server should not be the bottleneck. If
> > anything, the connection, dns/mx lookups, remote mail servers,
> > etc. those are more of a factor than the actual postfix server.
>

> Especially if your figure of 800k per second is bits and not bytes
> as I was assuming!

AFAIK, all services such as that are stated in bits, and are a
theoretical maximum.

So your figures would be divided by 8, thus probably no more than 3 - 4
messages per second.
30k (bytes)  would be about 240k (bits)
Thus 3 messages (720k (bits)) per second of that size would be
stretching it after factoring in the overhead for an 800k pipe.

Sending that volume of messages of that size is VERY inefficient, and
that also is why we complain loudly when our mailing list is sent html
mail.  A 30k html mail would likely be 1k or less as text.