Problem adding new user...

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 9 15:44:20 UTC 2005

gmail.kalinix wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 23:58 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

> Just try and hit CTRL+ALT+F2 and at login prompt type freddy and his
> password.
>
> Worked just fine for me.
>
> When you try to login from within bash, it somehow passes your uid for
> user freddy, which is not true. As a consequence PAM will reject the
> authentication.

Isn't this a defect, then? I just tried what you suggest, and it
worked for me as well [actually, I used CTRL+ALT+F1]. But man login
says:

        login  is  used  when  signing  onto a system.  It can also be
used to
        switch from one user to another at any time (most modern  shells
  have
        support for this feature built into them, however).

And what do I need to do in order to be able to use login and not
su?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.