wireless gateway, bridge

THUFIR HAWAT hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:03:54 UTC 2005

I have wireless, wi-fi, connection with my neighbor.  My neighbor has
an SMC7004VWBR 802.11b router, I use an Asus WL-330g as a wireless
NIC.  I have three computers (arrakis, caladan, geidiPrime).  The 330g
doesn't use USB cable, but ethernet RJ45 type cable.

Linux on a dual-boot box has access only after configuring from the
Windows installation on that box, which is madness.  Currently, this
is the setup, just one computer connected to the internet.

Apparently, the WL-330g has only a partial implementation of Proxy
ARP.  In practical terms, this means that when the 330g NIC is
operating in a "Multi-IP bridge environment" that it's possible to
connect the 330g to a switch and then the computers to the switch.
However, each computer has to run this special software from Asus and,
of course, the utility only works from windows.

A work around to this is to use one computer as a gateway, as in the diagram at:
<http://www.fs-security.com/docs/connection-sharing.php>, except that
the instead of connecting directly to the internet the connection is
to another router.  That just seems silly, though.

Any thoughts?  suggestions?

thanks,

Thufir