Semi-OT: VNC Alternatives. [SOLVED]

Gilboa Davara gilboada at netvision.net.il
Wed Nov 9 18:00:57 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 05:04, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > After a long tedious trouble-shooting, the source of the problem was
> > found.
> > It seems that the on-board Intel GbE NIC on two machines were
> > malfunctioning.
> > Once we replaced them with external NICs, the VNC sessions stabilized.
>
> Thanks for posting the followup.  Do you happen to know the test that
> finally identified the problem NIC's to help anyone else diagnose it?

I started doing some heavy NFS and SMB transfers.
Under NFS/UDP, I had way-too-many timeouts.
And under SMB, the performance was lousy...

After doing some (?) thinking I decided to try and new card, and bingo!
everything went back to normal.

> Also, since you were trying other options, do you still like vnc
> better than  Xwin -multiwindow and starting nautilus in one
> window - or some other method?
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

As cygwin, well, I'm still having the same old problems.
I assume that this is as a result of the Windows Antivirus/Firewall
slowing things down.

Gilboa