Quake 4

Per Steinar Iversen PerSteinar.Iversen at hio.no
Thu Nov 10 08:38:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> Id has released the Linux client for Quake 4:
>
> <http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/>
>
> I've got it working on FC4 on a DFI LAN Party 939 motherboard with nVidia
> 6800GT.
>
> It's mostly playable, but the sounds of the weapons suck. I don't know if
> it's the sounds in the game or the audio driver, but I suspect the driver, as
> the game uses the same data files as the Windows binary, and all the audio
> should be in there. What's been others' experience with this?
>
> Here's the mobo specs:
>
> <http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_product_spec_details_r_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US>

Try using the OSS emulation perhaps, see the Doom III FAQ, look for "Alsa
and multichannel sound" :

http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/

( add "+set s_driver oss" as an argument when starting Quake4 to test )

On my laptop Quake4 sound is great using OSS emulation, the sound is very strange when using ALSA.

-psi