cursed nvidia fedora my lack of knowledgeness

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 13:49:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 09:58 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Sorry for jumping in, I did not follow this thread closely.
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 10.11.2005, 16:59 +1030 schrieb David Abbott:
>
> [description how to rebuild the srpm]

<snip...>

> Uhh, and why don't you simply download the precompiled RPMs?

[description of enableing livna repo with Livna fedora-release RPM]

> And if they don't work for you please file a bug at bugzilla.livna.org.
> By doing that and help fixing the problems everyone has a benefit of it.
>
> > When you upgrade the kernel, follow the same rebuild process.
>
> Or wait 24 hours after a updated kernel is released -- we normally have
> updated rpms by that time. We are working on improving that and make the
> update process automatic with yum in the future.

Thorsten, I know you guys try hard and I am a dedicated Livna user. I
also agree that the general user running updates can keep up pretty well
with just the pre-comiled RPMs. Unfortunately, my experience has been
that, while sometimes it's less than 24 hours, there have been times
when it's been quite a bit longer (several days, a week or more). And,
in this particular case, the David was having trouble with both the
non-presence (at the time) of the pre-compiled RPMs he needed and
dealing with the problems created by installing via the NVidia provided
script (the one that breaks Mesa & other stuff).

I'm not sure you really want people filing Bugzilla tickets every time
your team misses the intended deadline. If you do, let us know. As I
mentioned, in general, I think you guys do a great job. Perhaps the
solution is more timely communication and a little re-org on the Livna
site to make it easier for people to find what they're looking for. I'd
be happy to help with that part as I have two very strong usability
consultants I work with who will give me pointers for Livna.org if I
frame the question the right way (one of them is a very passionate
French guy... <smile>).

Cheers,

Chris Williams

--