Setup Internal caching DNS Server

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 10 17:07:19 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> However, there are some ISPs which set up filtering that will
>> prevent you from resolving names yourselves (perhaps they want to
>> enforce their censoring?).

Kenneth Porter:
> If this is restricted to specific domains, use "stub" domains in your
> named.conf to selectively forward those domains to the ISP servers.

In which case, you still wouldn't be able to resolve what they
blocked...

Anyway, when an ISP decides to prevent users from the user running their
own DNS server, it's usually done by them preventing you from making
outgoing connections on the ported used for DNS queries.  Either
blocking it, or forcing you through their own systems (like transparent
proxying).

I read messages from the public lists.