Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 10 19:02:13 UTC 2005

Unattributed authors wrote:

>> We don't run yum at all on this box anymore; and since the box is in
>> a protected network, we don't see a need to seek out an alternative
>> update mechanism.

Nat Gross:
> Can't really blame you, but yum has worked wonders for me,
> automatically updating tons of pkgs.

I'm loathe to run an automatic YUM update, I just do it manually (and
keep an eye on the announce list for more information about the updates,
though I wish they'd also announce the file sizes).  If I were to run an
automatic background task, I'd be looking at configuring it to just
download, but not install, the updates.  That gets the time consuming,
and really inconvenient, thing automated.

YUM, in itself, has a really annoying feature:  The first time I tried
"yum update" I was (eventually, after too much time) presented with a
list of things to update with a yes/no prompt.  I expected the "no"
option to let me choose what to install from the list, rather than abort
the whole process.

I read messages from the public lists.