Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Nov 10 22:27:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 13:29 -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> > I know I'm a little late to the party here, but the same thing happened to me
> > with a customer machine.  The sequence of events went something like this:
> >
> > 1.  Install FC3.
> > 2.  Install MySQL 4.1.11 RPMs from mysql.com
> > 3.  Run 'yum -yd 2 update'
> > 4.  Observe that the MySQL 4.1.11 pieces are gone, some of which have been
> >     replaced by the FC3 3.23.x versions.
> So its NOT Amarok! (telling yum to pull in mysql 3x.)
>
> > The root problem is that a non-distro RPM (I don't like this thread's
> > calling them "non-standard" RPMs, as this RPM comes from MySQL
> > directly) was in the system, and Yum didn't know what to do.
> Listen. I write software too. If my software would do something CLOSE
> to this I'd be shot. (ok, ok. I did do a del *.* on a customer cpm
> a:>prompt.)
> imho, Yum should KNOW which rpm is standard and if not, either leave
> it alone or at least double check even with the -y option. Also Yum
> (well the rpm system) should understand the differences of distros. eg
> glibc 2.3.5 of FC *4* is greater than 2.3.6 from FC*3*.

If you are experienced in writing software and are that upset about it
doing (IMHO) exactly what you told it to do (but not what you *thought*
it should do); then the best thing I can suggest is that you contact the
maintainers and maybe even offer to assist with improving yum to perform
in the manner you believe it should.

I agree that it would be nice to have it know what I really want, but I
am not going to blame a piece of software for not thinking. That is my
responsibility.