FC4 RAID1 DegradedArray event

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Nov 11 02:07:55 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 11.11.2005 schrieb George Pappas um 2:28:

> Bruno, your guess was correct.  I downloaded the ISO Seatools from the
> seagate website and booted of a CD.  The drive failed the diagnostics by
> reporting alot of 'bad sectors'.  The utility suggested to format the
> drive using  zero fill method... I am not sure how to do this.. but
> again I havent googled around either.
>
> What was interesting though was when both drives where connected I was
> not able to hot add sda[1..14] to the raid array, but when I physically
> removed sbd and placed sda on sata0 it was able to boot.  Even though it
> booted and recovered some journals it had not synced data for the
> previous 4 days.  Running the utility again revealed that the drive
> still had uncorrectable data errors..thus needing a "Zero fill" format.
>
> I am returning the drive to the vendor as they have the ability to
> replace it for me within 24hours... which suits me just fine,, but it
> would be nice to know how it is possible to format using the above
> mentioned method. Bruno you mentioned dd.. I am not sure what this does.
>
> George

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda

That will write zeros on each block of drive sda. CAUTION: this will
destroy any existing data on the target drive specified! So be very
careful when typing the command line. If you just want to fill a
specific partition with zeros you can run i.e.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=4096

where bs specifies the block size (you find that out using tune2fs).
Again: use with _great care_!

A helpful paper about this topic in more detail can be

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/BadBlockHowTo.txt

Alexander

P.S. Don't top-post please.

Serendipity 03:01:24 up 13 days, 1:01, load average: 0.31, 0.33, 0.31