Unable to mount /media/zip as regular user

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Nov 11 13:31:33 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 11.11.2005 schrieb Ed Landaveri um 8:05:
> Gentlemen, ladies:
> I'm unable to mount my zip drive as a regular user:
> [ed at mybox ~]$ mount /media/zip
> mount: special device /dev/hdb4 does not exist
>
> If I reboot with zip disk inside the drive /dev/hdb4
> gets created:

udev does create the device on the fly.

> Even when the /dev/hdb4 HAS been created as shown
> above.  I need to be very specific:
> [root at mybox ~]# mount -t vfat /dev/hdb4 /media/zip
> to mount it to be able to see its contents
> [root at mybox ~]# ls /media/zip/
> bla, bla, --omitted--
>
> What can I do to be able to mount it as a regular
> user?

> Eddie

You need to edit the related entry in /etc/fstab. It actually has the
option "managed" - you need to remove that and probably add other
options. Please see "man mount" if in doubt.

Alexander

Serendipity 14:29:35 up 13 days, 12:29, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.11