Yum disaster! DELETED mysql!

David Mackintosh David.Mackintosh at xdroop.com
Fri Nov 11 13:36:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 01:29:20PM -0500, Nat Gross wrote:
> > The root problem is that a non-distro RPM (I don't like this thread's
> > calling them "non-standard" RPMs, as this RPM comes from MySQL
> > directly) was in the system, and Yum didn't know what to do.
> Listen. I write software too. If my software would do something CLOSE
> to this I'd be shot. (ok, ok. I did do a del *.* on a customer cpm
> a:>prompt.)

I've done a
# rm -rf *

...when sitting in /.  We've all done stupid things.

> imho, Yum should KNOW which rpm is standard and if not, either leave
> it alone or at least double check even with the -y option. Also Yum
> (well the rpm system) should understand the differences of distros. eg
> glibc 2.3.5 of FC *4* is greater than 2.3.6 from FC*3*.

I agree.  I think that Yum should recognize that MySQL 4.1.11
supercedes MySQL 3.23.x and leave it alone -- however I believe that
what really drove Yum to do this was some ancilliary dependancy by a
KDE piece which named a MySQL 3.23.x component directly.  In my
opinion, Yum should have complained about the conflict and _refused_
to do anything.  I really don't know how this could be easilly
implemented, perhaps some form of --ignore-dependancy-conflicts (ie
--nodeps or --force).  The semantics would need to be worked out.

> Can't really blame you, but yum has worked wonders for me,
> automatically updating tons of pkgs.

Oh, I still use it on the metric ton of other computers I administrate,
and this is the first time it has bitten me.

--
 /\oo/\
/ /()\ \ David Mackintosh | Public Key: