X-related questions

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Nov 11 20:12:58 UTC 2005

    After over a decade of running text-only servers, and thanks to
William Hooper yesterday with his help on getting one of my systems
upgraded, I now have a dedicated X-server machine.  Gnome's running nice
and cozy.  I have to say, I'm impressed, very impressed.  I even went as
far as having VNC display my desktop on my Windows workstation so I can
always get to that server.

    But now I have some questions:

    In order for VNC to connect and work, I have to be logged in on the
server console.  Once I log out, it also kills the VNC connection and I
can't get on anymore.  So, is there some way to setup VNC so that I
don't have to be logged onto the server?  In other words, leave the
server console logged out (sitting at the login screen) and be able to
remotely connect through VNC, log in and work remotely?

    Second, since I refuse to log in as root, specially when I'm doing
it remotely, this raises some issues.  For example, when I need to edit
system files, say /etc/hosts, I can't do it.  When I launch gedit and
open that file, it tells me the file is read-only because I'm not the
owner.  The correct action of course, however there's no way for me to
allow gedit to edit that file by means of additional credentials.  Even
if I authenticate as root (by launching some system related
configuration) it still won't let me edit system files (while logged in
as a regular user.)  So again, how can I get past this?  I don't want to
have to open a terminal window and using sudo or su to get to root just
to edit the file ... in a text window.  Otherwise why have X installed, eh?

    Okay, back to playing with X...  I'm sure I'll have more questions
later.

    Ashley

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.