FC3 -> FC4 upgrade leaves old packages

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Nov 11 22:09:38 UTC 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:02:41PM +0000, Ed Swierk wrote:
>  <akonstam <at> trinity.edu> writes:
> > Would you expect an upograding program to upgrade to packages with a
> > lowere version number? You can't expect any upgrading system to know
> > that to go to a hoigher version of the distribution lower versions of
> > packages need to be installed.
>
> In general, no, of course not.
>
> But I would expect the Fedora Core 4 installer to know how to upgrade official
> Fedora Core 3 packages, even ones newer than the original FC4.
>
> At least it should cry for help when it doesn't know what to do.
>
> It should not merrily march along, ignoring critical packages like kernel and
> glibc, and leaving the system an unholy mix of old and new.
>
> --Ed
Maybe, but what you are asking is hard to do when the driving algorithm
of the upgrader is to replace rpms with lower version numbers with
those with higher version numbers,

I am having FUN...  I wonder if it's NET FUN or GROSS FUN?
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484