FC3 -> FC4 upgrade leaves old packages

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Fri Nov 11 23:06:56 UTC 2005

At 6:18 AM -0600 11/11/05, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 03:08:53PM -0800, Ed Swierk wrote:
>> I just completed an upgrade from FC3 to FC4 using the FC4 CDs.
>>
>> What I'm left with can hardly be called an FC4 installation, since it
>> left nearly 80 FC3 packages untouched, including kernel and glibc.
>>
>> My guess is that anaconda decided not to upgrade certain updated FC3
>> packages whose FC4 counterparts had lower version numbers.
>>
>> Have others run into this problem? I would like to help my colleagues
>> avoid the same mess when they upgrade.
>>
>> --Ed
>>
>Would you expect an upograding program to upgrade to packages with a
>lowere version number?

When it is doing an OS install, yes.

>You can't expect any upgrading system to know
>that to go to a hoigher version of the distribution lower versions of
>packages need to be installed.

Sure, when it is installing an OS.  Anaconda's /job/ is to install an OS.
It should note all the packages needing downgrading and ask the user what
to do.  It should work to install an OS upgrade, or a downgrade, with equal
facility, and not leave an inconsistent installation.  Anaconda has a list
of all the rpms it expects to install, and that's what should end up
installed.