Don't prompt for SSL Pass Phrase

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 11 17:26:30 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 10:15 -0700, Jon D. Slater wrote:
> I remotely administer a machine with an SSL private certification key.
>
> Occasionally I need to reboot the machine remotely.
>
> During the boot process (at the machines location) I get:
>
>      Server www.blahblahblah.com:443 (RSA)
>      Enter pass phrase:

The Apache webserver documentation explains a way of dealing with this.
It'll explain it better than I can, but basically you've got a choice of
including passwords somewhere on your system, or making the certificate
without them.  Both have their security drawbacks.

Have a look at it, and if you get stuck, write back to the list saying
how far you got.

If it's rare that you reboot, perhaps the best option is to not start
the webserver automatically, and have something mail you to remind you
to manually start it and provide the password.

I read messages from the public lists.