mail confusion [ RESOLVED ]

Jay Moore jaymo at mail.bokler.com
Sun Nov 13 04:29:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 20:55 -0600, Robert Nichols wrote:
> Jay Moore wrote:
> >            And pardon my bitching, but why the f**k do I have to
> > hack a shell script to change the startup behavior? IMHO, this is BFU.
>
> Since you are apparently determined to make that change, you can do it
> by simply editing /etc/sysconfig/sendmail and changing the "DAEMON=yes"
> to "DAEMON=no" and restart the sendmail service.  Then you can start
> making note of all the mail-related things that don't work any more
> on your system.  There are ways to make mail work without that daemon
> process, but you have to set up a couple of other things to provide
> the necessary functions.

Bob & Les,

Thanks for your patience with my BS  :)  I must apologize; I am
relatively new to Linux/Fedora, and haven't had to futz with sendmail in
a while... I *thought* I remembered a few things that just weren't so,
and mis-read a passage in my sendmail Cookbook. You were right, I was
wrong.

For the record, and anyone else that finds himself trying to get
'smartd' (or other apps that use email notification) to get mail from a
private network to the Internet...

Two changes are required, both in the '/etc/mail/sendmail.mc' file:

1) enable masquerading - un-comment "MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')"

2) don't exclude root from re-writes - comment "EXPOSED_USER(`root')"

You can test your changes before committing them:

# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bt -C/etc/mail/experimental.cf

> /tryflags HS
> /try esmtp root

Thanks,
Jay