Setup Internal caching DNS Server

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 18:17:31 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 09:16, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-11 at 17:35 +1030, Tim wrote:
> > Though, does that mean that you can't answer DNS queries from the net,
> > for outsiders wanting your DNS information?  Or they've made it
> > impossible to run your own resolver, so you can resolve names for
> > yourself?  They're two entirely different things.
>
> Rogers hasn't blocked anything - we're running a DNS server right now
> for our domains.  It's just that Rogers' "user agreement" states DNS
> servers are not allowed on their network.  Whether they're
> distinguishing between the different types is not known, though I
> suspect not.

A caching DNS server used locally is on 'your' network not theirs.
The only way a DNS server would be used on the public network
(and thus their connection) is if it is registered in a
public registry or has a subdomain delegation from one that
does.  Otherwise a caching DNS setup is only a client on
the public side.  I'd think that ISP's would encourage local
DNS servers anyway - you really should have one that provides
answers for reverse (number-to-name) lookups for all of your
private addresses behind NAT or you'll throw a lot of unnecessary
traffic at the root servers and expose your internal topology
as most connection attempts result in a name lookup.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com