help system failure in eclipse

Kurt Hansen khansen at charityweb.net
Mon Nov 14 20:10:23 UTC 2005

> * Herbert Carl Meyer <hcmeyer at gmail.com> [2005-11-08 16:55]:
>
>>I installed the new eclipse rpm over the weekend, and I can no longer
>>use the eclipse help system. Tables of contents will display on an
>>internal help window, but attempting to display any help item produces:
>>
>>Unhandled event loop exception
>>Reason:
>>org/apache/catalina/Logger

I did a yum update over the weekend as well. My eclipse setup is screwed
up, tool. I had a perl editor installed, but it is now gone and other
screens don't function.

I think I'll just get the source and build eclipse myself like I've done
on other systems. Building from source seems like the only safe option
for critical software. (In my case, that means perl, apache, and mod_perl.)

A big advantage if you build from source means is that you understand
the system better and can better trouble shoot. rpms tend to be a black
box with the documentation written by an intermediary rather than the
developers.

If rpms were reliable, they'd be great. When they don't work as
anticipated, I feel lost because I don't know where to start.

Also, the latest kernel, 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4, locked up my system (IBM
Thinkpad T41) when I re-booted. Now I know why they call it a "kernel
panic" -- with a new kernel, you panic. :-)

Take care,

Kurt