LDAP vs. NIS+

Derek Martin code at pizzashack.org
Tue Nov 15 06:15:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 10:03:09PM -0800, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> I found NIS not all that bad, considering the work involved
> integrating all your services to use LDAP, it may not be all that
> bad if your needs are simple.

*CONFIGURING* NIS is not difficult.  That's true.  It's much easier
than configuring LDAP.

But *USING* NIS is a very very very bad idea, unless you have no need
of security whatsoever in your environment.  It is inherently
insecure, and can not be secured.  NIS+ is a *little* better, but it
is an unweildy beast, and not really well-supported on Linux.  Not at
all worth the hastle.

LDAP is by far the better way to go, in every respect except for
initial configuration.  And even that isn't too bad, if you find good
docs to help.

--
Derek D. Martin
http://www.pizzashack.org/