LDAP vs. NIS+

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Nov 15 14:15:31 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 10:03:09PM -0800, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Aly Dharshi wrote:
>
> >LDAP is hands down the way to go, even Sun says that NIS+ maybe deprecated
> >in future releases, its a freaking pain in the ass. NIS+ is no being
> >actively developed for Linux, NIS+ is a good exercise in self-inflicted
> >pain (which I will have to go thru' starting 2morrow).
> >
> >Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> >>
> >>   Once again I turn to the smart folks on this list.  I'm looking for a
> >>way to centralize our user management.  At the moment I have user logins
> >>that are scattered across several machines.  Ideally I want to have one
> >>central "accounts" machine, where all the user LOGIN data is kept and
> >>maintained.  Then I would have a shell server, where their actual files
> >>are kept.  Users then connect to this shell server only (which then
> >>authenticates the user against the "accounts" machine before letting them
> >>on.)  I will also have a web server and mail spool server which will have
> >>NFS shares, and all of these will have to have some record of the user
> >>information (UID/GID at the very least) for things to work properly.
> >>That data should be coming from the central "accounts" machine I would
> >>think.
> >>
> >>   I heard that NIS+ can do what I want to do.  At the same time, I also
> >>heard LDAP may be what I want.  So which is which?  What should I
> >>consider using?  Considering that neither is something I've played with
> >>extensively (I've done some NIS+ stuff eons ago, but never LDAP) this
> >>would be a first for me and having to figure things out from the ground
> >>up.
> >>
> >>   What does the general public recommend?  And any pointers/suggestions
> >>you might have are also welcome.
>
> I found NIS not all that bad, considering the work involved integrating
> all your services to use LDAP, it may not be all that bad if your needs
> are simple.

I am still waiting for someone to explain how to get a fedora system
to authenticate using a Windows authentication server.

Anyone know. Also LDAP is based on X500 long ago rejected as an ip
addressing mode because it was too tedious to construct.

Basic is a high level languish.  APL is a high level anguish.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484