LDAP vs. NIS+

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 14:26:16 UTC 2005

On 11/15/05, akonstam at trinity.edu <akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 10:03:09PM -0800, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Aly Dharshi wrote:
> >
> > >LDAP is hands down the way to go, even Sun says that NIS+ maybe deprecated
> > >in future releases, its a freaking pain in the ass. NIS+ is no being
> > >actively developed for Linux, NIS+ is a good exercise in self-inflicted
> > >pain (which I will have to go thru' starting 2morrow).

> > I found NIS not all that bad, considering the work involved integrating
> > all your services to use LDAP, it may not be all that bad if your needs
> > are simple.
> >
> I am still waiting for someone to explain how to get a fedora system
> to authenticate using a Windows authentication server.
>
> Anyone know. Also LDAP is based on X500 long ago rejected as an ip
> addressing mode because it was too tedious to construct.

Where I used to work, we did it with WinBind, OpenLDAP, and kerberos.
Unfortunately I can't give you any details, except to say that it
worked the way we expected it to, after we tried about a thousand
times. That is, it was difficult. And the default config files that
resulted from checking boxes in the Fedora login setup did not work,
we had to edit them manually (this was FC3, maybe it's better now).

Ultimately we did exactly what happens in Xandros, the commercial
linux distro. It would be nice if they'd publish what they do, but
then I guess nobody would buy Xandros.