Problem with partitioning -- How to format hard drive and reinstall Windows?

peter wu pwu95 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 03:32:27 UTC 2005

Thanks for your kind reply, Eddie.

But as I said, I tried to boot from the Windows XP CD. I get the following msg:

  "Setup  is inspecting your computer's   hardware configuraton..."

  Then the  computer hangs.

  Also, I just wanted to install Linux, but booting with Linux  installation CD gave me an error saying "No Drives Found." The msg said  there was no valid device on which to create new file systems.

  Any suggestion?

  --peter

Ed Landaveri <ed7tux at yahoo.com> wrote:  If you use the Dell restoration CD you won't get  far with it. Try with a WinXP cd boot from it, delete all the  partitions recreate a partition for Windows and reinstall it first.  Remember to leave enough room for the Linux install. Then proceed with  the Fedora installation. It will detect the existing partitions and  choose Free space for installation. From there everything will be fine.  If you still have problems just install Linux and forget 'bout windows.  It sucks!

 Eddie