Problem with partitioning -- How to format hard drive and reinstall Windows?

peter wu pwu95 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 04:37:37 UTC 2005

Thanks, Eddie,

  I supposed I first need to make a Win98 boot diskette. However, my  computer does't have a floppy drive. Can I make a Win98 boot CD  instead? (I've read some links/postings that mentions Win98 boot  diskette. Does it have to be on a floppy?)

  Also, once I format hard drive as FAT, can I reconfigure it to NTFS? (I  could be wrong, but I thought WinXP was on NTFS.) Can I make it  dual-boot with Linux if the file system is FAT instead of NTFS?

  Thanks, again.

  --peter

Ed Landaveri <ed7tux at yahoo.com> wrote:  Peter,
 google for zapfdisk.  Put it on a  Win98 boot floppy. Boot the computer with it. At the promp type:  zapfdisk z: <Enter>, you'll receive:
 You've just lost your partition table. Good
 Type in fdisk /mbr,
 Then: fdisk delete the main dos primary partition and recreate it.
 Reboot with the win98 boot, type in format c: /u
  Format your partition (as FAT). Reboot with the CD & proceed with  the installation. You may need to get the Windows XP cd. After this  procedure and even before it the Dell CD won't work on your hardrive. I  think somebody offered to send it to you. If you can't get zapfdisk,  let me know and I will send it to you as a *.rar file. (Most *.exe get  blocked as a spam or spyware) Every time I have problem with partitions  zapfdisk have become helpful to me.
 Regards