Lost User

gb spam gbofspam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 07:43:47 UTC 2005

> The other week I was trying to remove OpenOffice to install OpenOffice
> 2.0 because of the repeated crashing of the Fedora version of
> OpenOffice.  Somehow, I made my login inoperable.  When I tried to login
> the screen went blank for some time then came back to the login screen.
> Logging in as root I created another user.  Although I can reach the old
> user directories through /home/oldusr it is a real pain especially with
> my eudora mail (can't read my old mail).  I tried to recreate the
> password for the old user by using passwd, but that didn't cure my
> problem.  Anyone have a solution to get my old user login to work again.

Does "su - oldusr" work?  If so, sounds like your display manager is
upset with one of its config files.  Try logging in with another one
(such as KDE if you use Gnome, or Gnome if you use KDE).  If that
works, delete the display manager files for the one that doesn't work
(.kde if KDE doesn't work, not sure what it is for Gnome, it may be
.gnome2, but I can't remember as I don't use it any more).