Advice sought on makine web-server safe

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 17 08:27:09 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 04:29 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I want to allow general access to the web-server (apache) on my
> desktop, but not to any other services on this machine.

What do you mean by general access?  Access to read the files it serves?
Access to create files to be served?  Access to configure the server?

And in what way do mean by your desktop?  A short cut to something?  Are
you referring to your user account?

To my mind the desktop is nothing but the screen background where you're
able to place some icons and windows open up in front of it.  It's a
very poor term to describe things by, as it means so many different
things to different people.

I read messages from the public lists.