NdisWrapper nearly working - was madwifi ath_pci config problems on Sony Vaio

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 16:14:14 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 11:42 am, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.

Okay, so I've given in with madwifi (madwifi.org.being down hasn't
helped) and gone for NdisWrapper.  I've installed the RPM's and
followed the installation instructions and all goes fine provided I
don't want to use WEP.  If I don't set the WEP key on Linux and disable
WEP on the AP all's fine, but when I enable WEP on the AP and run

iwconfig ath0 key restricted XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX

where the key matches the one in the AP and the one in XP, it no longer
works.  Anyone know why?

(Without a WEP the MAC address of the AP shows up in 'iwconfig wlan0',
with the WEP key it doesn't)

Also, the instructions tell me to

depmod -a
modprobe ndiswrapper

to load modules, which work, followed by

ndiswrapper -m

to add it to modprobe.conf, and to add 'ndiswrapper' to /etc/modules to
make it permanent.

The problem is that the line added to /etc/modproble.conf has 'wlan0'
instead of 'ath0' but this doesn't seem to make any difference.
Also /etc/modules doesn't even exist.

What do I need to do to get this sorted?

--
Gary Stainburn