uol.com.br is now banned from this list

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 17 16:14:57 UTC 2005

From: "Warren Togami" <wtogami at redhat.com>

> James Wilkinson wrote:
>> Warren Togami wrote:

>>>fedora-list.  It seems that people who post to the list are getting
>>>spammed from uol.com.br.  This is not the first time this has happened.
>>

>> Note that there is still a petsupermarket at uol.com.br subscribed to the
>> list (maybe under a different address) and sending "confirmation"
>> e-mails.
>>
>> Actually, it just sent me *four* confirmation e-mails, so I imagine that
>> the twit's been wondering why he isn't getting any of his Fedora list
>> e-mails, and has tried resubscribing multiple times.
>>
>> James (editing his .procmailrc)
>>

> It seems to be even stupider than this.  If you don't respond to the
> uol.com.br bounce, it re-sends it every 2 hours.  This is some horribly
> broken stupidity for a lage ISP.  I wonder of our IS folks would mind just
> blacklisting the entire domain at the SMTP level...

The uol.com.br people have a strong reputation for corruption. The
folks stuck using that domain's smarthost are toast so many ways it
hurts. All the poor person can do is get a gmail account to get around
it. I've so far gotten 55 of their spams for the 6 messages I posted
last night. I simply ignore them - well, actually I have both those
AntiSpam UOL messages blocked in procmail with a moderately specific
test but also a more general from uol.com.br at the moment. I have
both feeding a uol_crap mbox file which I can check, maybe once a
month or whenever I feel like it. If I ever see a legitimate mail in
that folder I'll stop blocking everything. But I will NEVER respond
to a challenge/response ticket. It is a very wrong solution to the
spam problem.

{^_^}