Using yum to update production servers

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Nov 17 20:11:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 13:40 -0600, Jonathan Carpenter wrote:
> I have a few servers running Fedora 4 core, And I would like to keep
> them update using yum. This way I will have the security updates and
> such. I have been using the command from the fedora.redhat.com
> website
> su -c '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 yum on; /sbin/service yum start'
>

> But I do have a few servers that run as postgresql and mysql databases will yum wipe my database if it decides or see an update for
>
> mysql or postgres

I have never experienced that problem.
I only update production machines during scheduled maintenance periods
though, where the database is taken offline, a dump is made, then it
updated. If there is a problem, it can be restored from the dump. Never
been a problem for me though - but taking a dump of the database first
is generally a good idea.