NdisWrapper nearly working - was madwifi ath_pci config problems on Sony Vaio

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Nov 17 22:17:04 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 14:23 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
> > Try one of these versions:
> >
> > iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid <ESSID> key restricted <KEY-STRING>
> > iwconfig wlan0 mode managed essid <ESSID> key restricted <KEY-STRING>
> >
> > My guess is that ad-hoc will work.  Without the mode spec, sometimes
> > iwconfig won't set the frequency or allow the essid.  Weird, but true.
> > You might also try removing the "restricted" keyword--your network may
> > not be in that mode and using "restricted" limits you to truly
> > restricted networks.
> >
> > And yes, I have it working on several WEP networks using D-Link access
> > points and routers and using ASCII key strings.  Note that they're
> > ad-hoc networks, but it should work on managed as well.
> >
> > The networks are old D-Link DI-614+ routers with DI-900AP access points.
> > ndiswrapper is managing a Broadcom wireless chip in my laptop and I use
> > an iwconfig of:
> >
> > 	iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid xxxxxx key s:blah-blah
> >
> > Works peachy!
> >

> Rick,
>
> I tried Ad-hoc and indeed it does load, but now mine loads like its own
> AP, not connecting to DLINK AP. It's sets itself up as its own cell:
>
> wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"my-essid"  Nickname:"me.mydomain.com"
>           Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Cell: D6:D5:6D:44:61:93
>           Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power:25 dBm
>           RTS thr=2347 B   Fragment thr=2346 B
>           Encryption key:1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-1234-12   Security
> mode:restricted
>           Power Management:off
>           Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:-57 dBm  Noise level:-256
> dBm
>           Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>           Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
>
> If I do an iwlist scan I see my DLINK AP as one cell and my laptop as
> another cell.

Then try "managed" instead of "ad-hoc" and see what happens.  Remember,
you have to set the ESSID to the same as your DLink stuff.

> Also, in your example you said:
> iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc essid xxxxxx key s:blah-blah
>
> What is the "s:" after key, and you don't use the dashes in your key
> correct?

I use ASCII string WEP keys.  The "s:" tells iwconfig that it's an ASCII
string rather than a string that represents hex values, e.g.

	"abcdef" means three bytes of hex values, 0xab, 0xcd and 0xef
	"s:abcdef" means a six-byte ASCII string, "abcdef"

-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -