Kerberos, SASL issues

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Nov 17 23:48:19 UTC 2005

Hi Folks,

I have gotten LDAP with basic authenication and with SSL/TLS
working.  I am trying to get kerberos working as well.

I am trying to figure out why SASL is not working and here is
the debug output of several commands have have a common
issue:

ldapsearch $dbg -H ldap://ldap.cdkkt.com/ -b dc=cdkkt,dc=com
ldapwhoami

[long unlreaded output, snipped out...]
.
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: server supports: GSSAPI
ldap_int_sasl_bind: GSSAPI
ldap_int_sasl_open: host=205.cdkkt.218.99.216.in-addr.arpa
SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
ldap_perror
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Local error (-2)
        additional info: SASL(-1): generic failure: GSSAPI Error: Miscellaneous
failure (Server not found in Kerberos database)

Can anyone shed some light on this?  I cannot seem to figure out what
exactly I am missing in my configuration.  I am using the kerberos.cdkkt.com
host name and added that in as a principal but apparently this does not
work.

Note:  I *think* it might be a reverse-dns issue but I am not really
sure.  If this is the case then perhaps what was returned on a
reverse-dns might need to be added as a host principal.  Beats me.
I am working with my ISP to at least resolve the the reverse-dns
anyway even if this might not be the real issue here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan